Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Officially an allergy mom

So if it wasn't a strong enough feeling being the crazy mom in the aisles of the grocery store reading every label as if it a contract guarding my soul, today topped the cake as far a me realizing that I'm officially and allergy mom!   This past weekend Gavin suffered his first allergic reaction that scared me into action.  He had had a cough and cold for about two days already when this all went down and initially I thought that's what was going on... A rough coughing fit.  

I had been meal prepping and making shrimp for the following day when my youngest distracted me away from the stove.   The shrimp and the seasoning stuck to the pan creating a little smoke by the time I had gotten back to it.   Gavin was extremely tired and coughing.  He kept telling me that he wanted to go to bed.   So I told him to go upstairs while I cleaned up and got everything off the stove.   When I got upstairs,  he was coughing uncontrollably and began wheezing.   I had never heard this before and a million things ran through my head!   Finally it dawned on me that shellfish was a top allergen and he was reacting.  

I got him out of bed and into the porch but it still wasn't away enough for him.   I put him in the can and was planning on rushing him over to the hospital.  He needed a breathing treatment or something!   However the strangest thing happened and within three minutes,  his cough was gone and his breathing was normal.   We drove around that night for about 2 hours while I waited for the house to clear.   And on Monday I got on the phone with every doctor he had.   There were no emergency plans in place should something like this happen and have escalated.   My only option was benadryl.   The allergist scheduled new testing and called us in a script.   He now has his epi pen Jr.   I thought that having that would bring me comfort but it's brought an overwhelming sense of anxiety.   Knowing he has food allergies is one thing,  having to handle the reaction is another.   But I'd rather be prepared just in case then feel like I've got nothing.   I just wish there was a magic pill!  

So the good thing is that I know how to use this thing after years of being a red cross Instructor so I stopped at my mom's,  gave her the extra and provided the lesson.

1) remove the blue pin lid
2) hold the sides with a grip
3) using some force,  jab the epi pen into the Thigh of the individual in need of care until you hear it click
4) hold it there for 10 seconds
5) call 911

We practiced a couple times then found a spot where the kids couldn't accidently get it.   I'm not sure if it should stay in my purse or the cupboard?  Do I get a cool pouch from Etsy?  Do I get a couple extras for school and my purse?   Not quite sure how to handle this one...

No comments:

Post a Comment