Sunday, March 8, 2015

Replacing the Egg

So there are a ton of questions as to what you feed your child when you introduce an elimination diet.  From the beginning I decided that we were going to keep soy as a safe food.  Two years ago, we had attempted an elimination diet when his blood test for allergens came back positive for EVERYTHING except cod.  The soy level was so low though, I kept it in his diet and removed the rest without issues.  Kick me now for not staying with that and listening to the allergist who told me it was a fluke!  Live and learn, I guess.  But moving up to current situation, this kid wants to live off of Gluten free oatmeal and enjoy life chocolate chips.  Although I can't really blame him, I need to ensure a few more nutrients.  He may only be four but he is been influenced enough by though around him to see "healthy foods" as foods that don't taste a good...this could be because I am in no way a good cook, but also because it isn't processed and loaded with sugar so we have been slowly working our way to healthier and cleaner foods.  But he misses fun food!!  So now my job is to make healthy food fun...ok game on!  



We play the game of hide the nutrients!!!  How many of you moms do this?  I'm hoping and praying it's not just me! Do your kids have food that they love that they wouldn't notice a little extra?  I LOVE baking with alternatives to do this.  Since we can't have eggs, this is the perfect opportunity to replace them with good foods.  There are so many egg replacements.  Here are a few of our favorites:





*Banana ½ pureed Banana, abt 1/4 cup = 1 egg

*Flax seeds 1 tbsp ground Flax seeds + 3 tbsp Water = 1 egg

*Pumpkin Puree 1/3 cup of cooked pumpkin = 1 egg

*Applesauce 1/3 cup applesauce = 1 egg or ¼ cup Applesauce + 1 tsp Baking Powder 

*Chia Seed - 1 tbsp ground chia seed + 3 tbsp water = 1 egg 


Baking with egg replacements can be tricky, especially when you have to remove the gluten as well so I prefer to do anything that includes yeast with Chia seeds since they expand. It's kind of like cheating! For pancakes, waffles, scones, and muffins; I prefer the fruits and veggies.  I will also mix and match to get dun flavors.  I always like to toss a little nutritional shake mix into the mix as well just to make sure I've got all the vitamins and minerals covered. Check back for recipes to be posted soon!


I would love to hear about your tips and tricks as an allergy free family!  Sharing is so important when you're doing everything you can to keep yourself and your families healthy!

Lisa Fickenworth










No comments:

Post a Comment